Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I know I did. Actually, mine was more about appreciation, then fun and fantasy. This is due in part to the fact that I saw a couple foreign films (specifically from Latin America) at the Palm Springs International Film Festival that really made me cry. Literally, in the middle of the movie theater there I was…. crying like a baby because I realized how hard it is in other places of the world right now. As tuff as I think it is for me right now, as little as my bank account might be, I realized that somebody has it way worse and I am thankful for all that I have (how little or big it may be). I am thank you for the ability to have this three year old laptop and my community to write to every week. It’s beautiful. And as Mr. Brainwash (random reference, I know) writes, “Life is Beautiful.” So, let’s share something that is not only beautiful, but free…. knowledge!!
Because I was so humbled by a couple of these films I saw over the weekend I thought it would only be appropriate if we continued the theme of “Film” this week on The Coachella Valley Art Scene.
It’s time to get reel:
1. Palm Springs International Film Fest = Awesome. Okay, okay…. just as anything is, it’s so much easier to ‘hate on’ the film fest then to express how much you appreciate it, right? Last week I wasn’t looking forward to standing in line at the festival, but after this weekend, I was reminded why I go every year…. you seriously can not get better pieces of art all year long. It’s as good as it gets. So, stop sulking in your spoiled desert, never-having-to-wait-in-line, mentality. Going to the Palm Springs Film Festival is not just about seeing semi-expensive films, it’s about education, art, and preserving/experiencing Palm Springs culture. This we explore what the PSFF really means, and give some more film recommendations!
2. The CVAS Online Indie Film Fest. As much as I love big budgets, I love small budgets. It’s like going to Saks 5th Avenue and Revivals Thrift Store. In both of these stores you are bound to find a gem, an item of clothing that you will love (equally, for different reasons) and get tons of compliments on… the only difference is how much you paid for it at the register. So, with that in mind… think of the Palm Springs International Film Festival as a Saks 5th Avenue and think of The CVAS Online Indie Film Fest as a Revivals Thrift Shop. Gems! Gems, I tell ya! Prepare yourself to fall in love with some indie films from local filmmakers in the desert this week as our film fest continues!
3. Happy Birthday to Me. No, it’s not my birthday. It’s Murray Goldstien’s. Who is Murray Goldstien? Murray is the main character to Levy Stonehill’s (a local film writer/director/producer) latest film, Happy Birthday to Me. Happy Birthday to Me? Yes. Sounds good, doesn’t it? Well, lucky for you this weekend you can watch it on the big screen at the Idyllwild Independent Festival of Cinema. Idyllwild is only about an hour or so away and it’s pretty amazing up there. Plus, how cool of them to have an Independent Festival of Cinema?!?!? So, make sure to get all the details on Idyllwild’s Festival and Levy Stonehill’s Happy Birthday To Me (which notably was also nominated for Best Featurette, Best Director, and Best Actors) screening time.
4. Doo Wop in the Desert! Yes! It’s back! One of my favorite Coachella Valley Art Scene event’s is back! Doo Wop in the Desert is our Retro Valentine’s Day dance held at the Ace Hotel’s Commune. This is no average retro Valentine’s Day dance…. no, no, no… this is an interactive, performance art experience that invites you and all of your friends to participate in together to “bring back the ART of ROMANCE.” The Art of Romance is an art that has been lost over the years… but comes back to nourish us every Valentine’s. The night will also feature musical guests: DJ Alf Alpha (spinning nothing but the best of the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s) and Evaro (live house band covering the best of Doo Wop), a Retro Photobooth with Iggy Photography, FREE cupcakes to all guests, and ‘Couples’ package deals. This is all going down on February 12th, 701 E Palm Canyon in Palm Springs, from 9pm-2am. 18+enters/21+drinks. Tickets: $12/single and $20/couple. Tickets can be bought at: www.thecoachellavalleyartscene.com/TICKETS. More info this week!!
5. Wednesday Night Rendezvous. Wednesday nights are getting a little crazy in the desert…. and we like it!! That ‘big city’ feel is definitely seeping through the mountains and melting all of your brains. Just kidding, not melting your brains…. expanding them. Come back to see what’s going on around town on Hump Day/Night.
6. This Saturday Night GO to Space 120! Why? Well, because The Coachella Valley Art Scene and Alf Alpha are going to be putting together a show there…. and we promise it will be super duper awesome. Who will play? What is the theme? We will release all this top secret info this week (maybe tomorrow). So, make sure to stay tuned in because everything changes at the blink of an eye.
7. New Features on the Website!!! Have you noticed the New Features to the Coachella Valley Art Scene website??? OMG, they are so cool. We have a New Directory!! And we also have a new E-Mail Subscription list!!! With these new features you/your business can add yourself to The Official Coachella Valley Art Scene Directory and you can also sign up for an email list that will keep you in the loop about all sorts of cool stuff!! Pretty cool, riiight??!?! Look to the right of this page… that is where you can find all this cool info.
8. TheCVArtScene.tumblr.com. Okay, I know Tumblr.com is huge. And I know there has to be more of you out there that have one… it’s the easiest Micro Blogging website on planet Earth. So, let’s add each other. And let’s say you happen to be someone who doesn’t have a Tumblr.com account…. then just check ours out because it’s AWESOME. We post cool photos provided by our personal collection, and also by reblogging some of our favorite fans/followers/fellow Coachella Vallians.
9. TheCoachellaValleyArtScene.com/OPPORTUNITIES. Hello…. there are Opportunities out there… you just have to go out and get them!! Make sure to keep checking on our Opportunities page, and if you have an opportunity to give someone, make sure to email me ASAP!!! thecoachellavalleyartscene @gmail.com.
10. Beefy Blog of the Month. This week we just might be ready to bust out our Beefy Blog of the Month!!! It’s an arts interest blog, by one of our favorite people in the desert. I’ll give you more details as more details roll in…. it’s a good one, and you’re gonna be just as hype as me when all is said and done.
11. Randoms. Blog culture = sporadic. You never know what will come up! There might be the most amazing thing out there that just might not be posted in here… but will land on the site. So, keep an eye out!!
12. Things 2 Do Thursdays. Party time, excellent!!! The only world I want to be in right now is Wayne’s World. Party on, Wayne! Party on, Garth!!! Yyeaaahhhhhh!!!