So…. as you may have or may not have seen… on Facebook we shared with you all the excitement we had that our very own, the guy who has been supporting The Coachella Valley Art Scene since day #1, DJ ALF ALPHA just got booked at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival 2011!!!! Check the flyer yourself!! He is playing on Saturday. We are not only just proud of him for making big moves in the music world, or for being the first solo artist in Coachella Valley’s history to land a spot on the world famous Coachella lineup… but more importantly for being a source of inspiration to all of the Coachella Valley community! Even though it is “Alf Alpha” who got booked, it is a community effort. It’s you guys that have supported him from the start and will continue to support till the end! And, can we give a big round of applause to Goldenvoice for picking such an amazing person/artist/DJ to rock their stage?? As one of my favorite sayings goes… “Real Recognize Real.” That’s what’s up!!
So, with that being said… you can image how incredibly excited and happy we are. We’ve been bottling all this information about Alf Alpha getting booked at Coachella for some time now, so it’s really good to finally release it.
Alas, that’s not the only good news that’s floating in the air… other information such as super cool events, shows, and gigs are coming up and we can’t wait to share them all with you.
So, let’s talk… more action! Let’s get to it…
1. Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival Lineup Released! This festival is very, very special to me. Coachella Fest has been very influential to me as a person ever since the first time I went back in High School. I was a complete dork, not even that into good music, I just went out of curiosity and my mind was completely blown. It changed my life. I figured out what “cool” was, that was major. Haha. Anyways, I have never missed a year since 2001 and I plan on riding it out for however many years there are to come. Am I preaching to the choir?? Because I know that there are many people who are my peers that have grown up in the same desert who feel the same. There is an unwritten sense of pride in this festival… as if it’s mine, just because it’s in my back yard… the Coachella Valley. But… yeah… blah blah blah… I could go on for hours, and I will, just not right now. check back in later this week for our big Pre-Coachella Blog Craze Party! Type it out!!
2. Doo Wop in the Desert. Let’s not forget that this Valentine’s Day The Coachella Valley Art Scene presents a party that is encouraging all to “bring back the ART of ROMANCE!” It’s a retro costume party and YOU are invited. Bring a loved one, bring a friend, bring yourself…. it’s all good! More details about our big annual party this week… but in the meantime, check it out here: www.thecoachellavalleyartscene.com/tickets
3. Wednesday Night Rendezvous. The Dub and Experimental Electronic music scene is not just big in LA… it’s now rocking the desert scene as well. And it’s going strong. Every Wednesday night Everett Turner hosts, Desert Glow at Space 120, and the night doesn’t just glow… it radiates energy and bangs! It’s really interesting to see a sub-genre of music pack shows and even more interesting to see all the different installation artists of the desert (Everett Turner, Jocelyn Guareca, Perry Scanlon, and Nocturnal Elements) come out and add their special flavor to the evening as well. More info in just a bit!
4. Ty Segall is in town + it’s Kylie Knight’s Birthday = PUNK PARTY! Party on, Kylie! This Thursday is a super cool show for super cool kids who like to party super duper hard! I can’t wait to give all the super duper details in a super duper quick second. Super duper, dude!
5. AIDS/Lifecycle team of the 760. Last year one of our good friends, 5000 Photography (aka Juan Galvan), participated in the 7 day bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles in support of the AIDS/Lifecycle organization. Within this past year, Juan Glavan has gone on to inspire many more and we are proud to announce that this year there are more than 5 other Coachella Valley residents riding with him. We are not only happy to see Galvan pursue his passions, but it’s also pretty awesome to see him inspire others. The guys need help in raising money for their cause, and we are going to be informing you of all the ways you can help. Stay tuned! It’s all for a good cause!
6. Pappy & Harriet’s Rocks Out this Week. Every week… corrected, every day… at Pappy & Harriet’s is a cool day. However, I am particularly excited about this week at Pappy & Harriet’s. On Friday, desert rock legends, Sean Wheeler & Zander Schloss, Fatso Jetson, and Bob Forrest rock the stage!! And then… on Saturday… Sean Lennon’s new musical project, The Ghost of a Sabor Tooth Tiger will be taking the stage. That’s pretty amazing if you ask me.
7. INTERVIEW: John Steppling of Cinematheque. (via Blog.AcehHotel.com) For all of you still on your Palm Springs INternational Film Festival high… we have good news for you. No need to go through withdraws. We spotted a really great interview on Ace Hotel’s blog with the curator to their WEKLY free film night in the Commune at the Ace Hotel. This interview introduces you to the man behind the vision and a little insight to some films you can look forward to watching at their new weekly. A must read, a must go!
8. Commercial Break. More-so than ever before, you guys out there have been sending me the coolest links to some really cool Youtubes and Vimeos you have been making. Really good video art, music videos, skate videos, and randoms… I love them all and am super inspired by them. I share my musings with you all this week on the Commercial Break… the most un-commercial, commercial break in the history of commercials!
9. Randoms. I got a couple tricks up my sleeve, a couple links that I landed on, and a couple blog posts to brag and blabber about… all this week!
10. Things 2 Do Thursdays. It’s the “season”. And to us locals that only means one thing…. good weather to party in!!! More parties, more local talent, more local promoters, more supporting your local venues all going down this Thursday!!! WORD!