Welcome back to another week on The Coachella Valley Art Scene!
It’s an exceptionally exciting week to be a Coachella Valley resident. Why so? Well, because not only are there an abundance of good quality shows going on this weekend in the desert, but there also was the breaking news that Metallica, Slayer, Megadeath and Anthrax will be rocking a hige show called The Big Four at the Empire Polo Fields this April 23, 2011. Yes, that’s the weekend after Coachella and the weekend before Stagecoach. We are super hype! Nothing screams desert better than rock n’ roll!!!
1. FREE Film Screening: Vanishing of the Bees. The Palm Springs Green Scene hosts the free film screening of Vanishing of the Bees TONIGHT at the Palm Springs Library. Learn a little bit about the disappearance of honeybees while at the same time being entertained (via the film). Honeybees are a vital in our food source due to their pollination. What would life be without them? Find out tonight!
2. The Big Four Festival. Goldenvoice does it once again! They bring us things our wildest dreams couldn’t even fathom… the best Heavy Metal show to go down in history, right in our back yard… the Empire Polo Fields. April 23rd is definitely going to be an interesting day in the Coachella Valley for sure!!! I am a little more than excited… I’m super hype.
3. IPAC Desert Rock Series. This Friday night is another part of the Desert Rock Series. Make sure to tune back into The Coachella Valley Art Scene for more details on the event later this week!
4. World Famous: The Official “Congrats on getting booked at Coachella” Party! Yes, we are super duper proud that our super duper DJ, Alf Alpha, got booked at Coachella Fest!!! That’s what’s up! We told you we had good taste. So, this Saturday we celebrate Alf Alpha’s latest accomplishments with all of you. We are hosting our monthly World Famous monthly party inside the Amigo Room at the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs this SATURDAY. We also will be supplying free arts and crafts for those who like to get tipsy and make art. This month’s craft theme: Design/Make your own party hat! It’s gonna be a fun one! FREE! More info in just a bit!
5. Commercial Break: Rappers and Skaters. Two art forms that have little and everything to do with one another. All of which have everything to with self expression and art. So stay tuned!
6. Doo Wop in the Desert! It’s a retro costume party on February 12th for Valentine’s Day and you are invited! The Coachella Valley Art Scene + Ace Hotel team up to provide you a night of complete throw backs. The Ace Hotel’s Commune will be completely decked out in retro decor. Our DJ, Alf Alpha, will be playing nothing but the best of 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s. Our live house band, Evaro, will be covering the best of Doo Wop, The Temptations, the Supremes, and many more. We will also have a photobooth provided by Iggy Photography. This year we are offering one printed copy of your photo booth to take home for yourself! And of course we will be putting them all online as well. The party is in 3 weeks, make sure to hit up your local Thrift Store and get it poppin! All ticket information is here: www.TheCoachellaValleyArtScene.com/tickets
7. Cinematheque. Cinematheque is a new free film series going down at the Ace Hotel every Thursday night. You can watch some of the greatest films ever made right here in Palm Springs. Make sure to come back for more details on this one.
8. Reunions and Rock Shows. Congrats to DJ Day for his 1 year anniversary on throwing his Reunion show at the Ace Hotel’s Amigo Room! DJ Day and Aimlo have v=been putting it down every Thursday and this one is no exception. In fact, DJ Day will be bringing his special guest, Rip 1, into the mix. Come early because it’s going to be a banger. Also, in the rock show world, Slipping into Darkness is not just be headlining a rock show, they will also be featuring some local artists in a pop-up shop art show as well. More details on that in just a bit!
9. Randoms. We got some surprises that you should know about, and you will know about, in just a bit. So stayed tuned in!
10. Things 2 Do Thursdays. You know what it is! It’s the post that keeps on posting. The Coachella Valley Art Scene has been hosting our Things 2 Do Thursdays for almost 3 years now!! So many parties! So little time!!