Welcome back to another week on The Coachella Valley Art Scene.
We have good news for all the “Galleristas” of the Coachella Valley: This week we are dedicating our time to focus on art shows around the Coachella Valley. Reason being (beyond the obvious fact that we are the “Coachella Valley ART Scene”) is that we were clicking back through posts from the last couple of weeks here on the C.V.A.S. and realized that we have been blogging a lot about our music community lately. Which, is definitely an art form and a rapidly blossoming community of the desert, however, we’ve been neglecting our visual arts friends in doing so. Unintentionally, of course. We love y’all. But, because it’s a one-woman operation here on the CVAS’s end of the computer, sometimes we have to take on different missions one week at a time. So, let’s get to it! Less talk, more action!
There is so much to do and see this week that we can barely contain ourselves. So here’s to contaminating your life with art:
1. The Official Doo Wop in the Desert Party Recap. It was a blast! From the past. For all those that couldn’t attend, we are providing you with an online recap. And then after that, we shall move on and look forward to future events! Yay!
2. WORLD FAMOUS this SATURDAY NIGHT at the Ace Hotel’s Amigo Room. Yay!!!! It’s the last Saturday of the month so you know what that means….. the dynamic duo, DJ Alf Alpha on the 1’s and 2’s and The Coachella Valley Art Scene on the craft table, take over. This World Famous month’s theme is “Happy Birthday Sarah of the CVAS!!”. Yeah, I’m a Pisces and it’s my birthday. So…. come party with me!! The event is FREE and the vibes are always super fun. Flyer, Facebook invite and more details later this week. We hope to see you there!
3. Marks Art Center: Carl Chiarenza: Pictures Come from Pictures. New Photography exhibition at College of the Desert’s Marks Art Center is something to get excited about. Tonight is the “Gallery Talk” and tomorrow (Wednesday) night is the “Artist Reception”. To be one of the first to get a sneak peak, make sure to come back to read all the lovely details here on the blog.
4. Art Show Recap via Afiliated Clothing’s Blog: Dabs and Myla at M Modern. We’ve been following Afiliated Clothing’s (a local independent tshirt company based in the Coachella Valley) blog for some time and just recently came across a cool recap from an art show they attended at M Modern. The guys took some good photos and the art is so cool that we had to share it with you all. No sense in being visually greedy, right?!?!
5. Curator’s Walk Through at the Palm Springs Art Museum. There’s no way to better understand an art gallery/show/exhibition then to hear it from the expert themselves. This Thursday there is a FREE walk through at the Palm Springs Art Museum with the Curator. Ohhh la la. This should be super interesting and if you have the time make sure to swing by.
6. The Photography of Albert Frey at Michael H. Lord Gallery. Okay, so first things first – I love this gallery. It’s cutting edge, contemporary, and just all around awesome. Unassuming on the outside, astounding on the inside. In honor of Palm Springs’s Modernism Week, Micheal H. Lord’s gallery is hosting a special photography exhibition of Albert Frey’s best photography and we are recommending that you all go check it out. Understand the essence of Palm Springs in the 60’s/70’s by reading photos that say a thousand words. More info in a little bit.
7. Hugh Holland at the Savage/Archdeacon Gallery in Palm Springs. Another art show in honor of Modernism Week in palm Springs. The show is this Friday, so stay tuned in for more info later this week.
8. The Prophets Conference. Every once in a while I find something that may not be exactly “art”, but it is so interesting that it could definitely be of some source of inspiration to artists. The Prophets Conference in Palm Springs this Friday afternoon is definitely one of those “kinds of things”. I think this one might interest you guys. More later this week.
9. Commercial Break. With all this serious gallery talk there is only one way to loosen up the intensity… and that’s best done with a Commercial Break via the Gooch Drool. The Gooch Drool is a super classy (sike!) blog that we love. Skate videos of all the heshes, and then some.
10. Randoms. We are pretty good at predicting the future, but we’ve never claimed to be psychics, only bloggers. Sometimes we can’t even see the most obvious coming. So, keep an eye out because we are known to throw some curved balls every once in a while.
11. Things 2 Do Thursdays. As if there wasn’t enough art shows to check this weekend….. here comes the party hotline aka Things 2 Do Thursday. However, please do keep in mind that the Things 2 Do Thursday post only promotes local parties featuring local promoters, artists, and small-business owned venues. We are not out to promote cheesey night clubs, we do this to promote art and community. So, make sure to show up to one of the parties and meet some like minded folks!