Hello, and welcome back.
This week on The Coachella Valley Art Scene we share with you a wide variety of artistically motivated and celebrated events that are going on in the Coachella Valley this week. Everything from dance, to poetry, to visual arts, to live art, to film, to radio, to live music, to community happenings are going down this week. Exciting, right?!
So, let’s get the ball rolling because you guys are on a roll…
1. Dance Off!!! No, this isn’t America’s Best Dance Crew… this is, how long can you boogie for? Tonight at the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs they are having a “Soul Clap” party that awards $100 to the person who can dance and last the longest out on the dance floor. I am interested to see who can last the longest!!!
2. Tonight: Open Mic. Also going on in the dirty desert, but on the other side of town, is Cup of Happy’s Open Mic at El Destino in Indio, CA. Got something to say, and want to say it loud and proud? No better place then here. Flyer and info coming in about an hour.
3. College of the Desert’s Annual ART Student Scholarship Exhibition featuring Alf Alpha and The Coachella Valley Art Scene! Come one, come all – just come!!! The Coachella Valley Art Scene and Alf Alpha will be swaggin’ out College of the Desert’s Mark Art Center tomorrow evening from 5pm-7pm. It is a free event and a great opportunity to check out the up and coming artists from around the Coachella Valley. We are really excited to meet some of you guys and make some art together. Alf Alpha will be on the turn tables and cutting it up all night. Maybe it will turn into a dance party?…. only you know the answer to that.
4. Arthur Lyon’s Film Noir Fest. The Film Noir Fest in Palm Springs is probably one of my top film festivals that goes on in the desert all year long – for the simple reason that you can’t find anything like it! And, who doesn’t LOVE Film Noir? I know I personally do. This week we give you a breakdown of who and where and what you can see… for a great price!
5. KCOD Radio Showcase. Another great happening at College of the Desert is the birth of their first ever radio! And despite how small the recording studio of it is – the power and voice of it is much bigger. This Thursday the school kicks off the AM station with a a free event on campus featuring live music and art. Let’s cross our fingers and hope that they get a Ustream or downloadable podcast going too!
6. Sounds of the Desert: The Monopoly. This week we highlight a local punk band who has been making lots of noise recently… The Monopoly. A guest writer, Andy Lara, will be interviewing the band about their latest project. We are looking forward to this as we are long time fans of not just The Monopoly, but also Andy Lara.
7. Joshua Tree Music Festival. This weekend! Joshua Tree throws it’s own 3 day music festival and it will feature amazing acts from all over the world. Joshua Tree Music Festival is awesome and definitely a great experience for anyone who loves to party in the desert (and who doesn’t love to do that?). More to come a little later.
8. Commercial Break: PSUSD 2011 DIGICOM Film Festival Videos. This week’s Commercial Break will feature the latest and greatest from the up and coming film directors from the Coachella Valley. On Monday May 2, Palm Springs Unified School (PSUSD) District presented the 3rd annual DIGICOM Film Festival. Free screenings of films produced by teachers and students in the Palm Springs Unified School District were presented. The types of films featured in the festival included variety of animated films, documentaries, dramas, music videos, and informational videos. This year more than 1,100 students and teachers from 17 schools worked to submit over 300 films to a four-member panel of judges. The judges reviewed the films, choosing the top 30 to be featured in the festival. And we can’t wait to share them with you guys!
9. Memorial Day Weekend: Craft, Dance and Commense! We are so excited for Memorial Day weekend. We have lots in store for you guys. We are planning a 3 day party excursion at the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs and want all you guys to come and join us! The Coachella Valley Art Scene will be (1) crafting poolside during the day on Saturday and Sunday, we will (2) be partying all Saturday at our monthly World Famous party (which just so happens to fall on Memorial day weekend, whoop whoop!) with Alf Alpha, and then (3) looking/buying at top notch art for the AIDS/Lifecycle art show that Sunday evening… all going down at the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs. So, just an FYI… there is no need to go out of town. Stay local and party hardy.
10. Randoms. There is so much going on in the desert these days that I never really know what will come up. So, best advice I can give you is to keep your eyes glued to your computer screen at all times!!! Just kidding.
11. Things 2 Do Thursday. Not only are there a million artsy fartsy things to do this weekend, but there are a million independent organized music events being put on this weekend by your local musicians, local promoters, at your local venues, featuring your local artist supporters. Come back this Thursday to see who, what, where, when and why.