Welcome to another week here on The Coachella Valley Art Scene.
Well guys, gotta admit something to you…. a blogging confessional if you must… I am like, soooooo not able to focus this week!! I am so excited to take off to Burning Man next week that like… I dunno… nothing else matters at this point. Haha! In a good way, not suicidal or anything. Jeeez!
Burning Man, for those who don’t know, is a like a week-long art festival in the middle of the desert of Nevada. To be even more specific, it’s an experiment in community, radical self-expression, and radical self-reliance. It’s not a music festival – it’s more like a meetings of the minds… of the inventors…of the top sculptures and installation artists… and bloggers (just kidding on that last one). No, but really, it’s where I get a year’s worth of inspiration and I am so excited to take some of that energy and inspiration back with me to my hometown to inspire all of you.
So, let’s get this week started already….
1. WE ARE GOING TO BURNING MAN! And what that means to you is…. WE WON’T BE HERE ALL NEXT WEEK!! On Monday morning we will be traveling to a temporary city called Black Rock City, Nevada that is no where near computers, cell phone, fax machines or pagers. So, if you are promoting an event that will be happening next week or during Memorial Day weekend then email all your information to me now – or forever hold your peace!!! My email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. WORLD FAMOUS!!! This Saturday night the funnest party in the whole world comes to town!!! It’s The Coachella Valley Art Scene and Alf Alpha’s World Famous dance and craft party at the Ace Hotel’s Amigo Room in Palm Springs. It’s free, it’s from 10pm-2am, it’s fun and it’s going down.
3. Free Classic Film Screening. This Thursday the Palm Springs Art Museum is screening one of my favorite classic comedies… Some Like It Hot. These film screenings are open to the public, are all ages and start promtely at 6:00pm. A perfect after-work pick-me-up. Bring the popcorn and prepare to travel back in time.
4. Epidemic’s Adios Party. As you probably know by now, Epidemic is moving from Cathedral City to Palm Desert this week. And they are doing with grace and style. This Friday night they will be having a going away party in the Cathedral City building that was home to many for many, many years. But, just as all skaters do… you gotta grow up and onwards. Always a skater, but you gotta move around a bit. And that is exactly what Epidemic is doing. So, after 10 years they move to Palm Desert to take on the next level of their skating careers. This Friday night, be prepared to shed some tears, some sweat and some blood.
5. Commercial Break: My Coachella. Coachella Fest…. yeah, you know, that one music festival that comes into town every April that has completely re-shaped the Coachella Valley (at least for the younger generations out here). Yeah, that one. Well, these past 2 years at Coachella your blogging buddy, The Coachella Valley Art Scene, has been producing an art installation inside. Within that art installation is a whole staff of people who are all from the Coachella Valley. One of the people who has been with me from the start (via The Coachella Valley Art Scene and the Coachella Art Studios) is Steven Preston. Steven Preston is a local filmmaker that I can;t say enough good things about….so, I rather just let his work speak for him. This week on the CVAS we show off what Steven was up to at Coachella. It’s so good!! Can’t wait to share with you guys!
6. Calling All Artists!!!! Behind the computer screen the CVAS staff is working deligently over here to produce our first ever…. CVAS Online Art Gallery!!!!!! We are so hype! We have a good amount of artists already ready to go, but before we blast off to infinity we wanted to reach out to some of you artists out there who maybe be hiding. You know who you are. That certain artist who keeps more to him/herself and produces a ton of brilliant work at home, never showing anyone. Yeah – you guys. I am friends with plenty of you. I find you guys the most intriguing. So, if we don’t know each other personally – let’s!! If you have works (doesn’t have to be hundreds of pieces, you could even just have two) that you are willing to sell, please email me! Send me your name, your phone number, photos of your work and any website links that you might have on tap. My email is email@example.com. More details later this week!
7. Randoms. This week are in a bit of a hurry because we have to work double time! We have to blog for this week – AND for next week!!! So, cut us some slack! We might have a long list now, but as people start emailing us their events we will most definitely post them and blab about them. And, anyways, I mean… you never really know what you will find in the wonderful world of the world wide web.
8. Things 2 Do Thursday. If there is one thing you can count on, it’s The Coachella Valley Art Scene’s famous Things 2 Do Thursday post every week. Because, the party never stops over here….and certainly never stops in the desert either. The post that keeps on posting the events that keep on inventing (I try!!!).
* * *
So, again, everyone who has something going on next week – SEND ME YOUR INFO! I will not be hunting for it on the internet – I will be packing for Burning Man. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org – don’t be afraid to hit me up!! I don’t bite! I’m a nice girl – I swear!!! Ask around.