Hello, everyone! Welcome back to another amazing and exciting week on The Coachella Valley Art Scene.
We must first and foremost apologise. Why, you ask? Well, because, we have been trying to produce as much content as we receive, but unfortunately, we are working 2 jobs so we actually just blog in our free time. These 2 jobs that we are working are to raise money to buy t-shirts, merch, get some advertisements going, and get the Online Art Gallery up and running. I know, it’s so “un-glam” for me to tell you that we don’t blog for a living and actually have lives outside the CVAS… but, it’s also necessary to remind you and let you know that this blog is our art and how we express ourselves. We try as hard as we can to produce content that we truly believe in and hope you’ll enjoy on a consistant basis. So, please, bare with us at the moment as we get our hustle on and stack our chips in order to invest it back into the CVAS. Ya feel me?!? I knew you would.
So, with all that being said…. let’s crack the whip and get it crackin’! This week on the blog has to be an obvious determinate that “the season” is upon the horizon. There is a ton of cool stuff going down in the desert and we have chosen our top couple of picks for you guys. Read more:
1. INTERVIEW: Kylie Knight. Okay, so last week we didn’t have time to pump this one out – but this week we are determined! Kylie Knight is our featured artist in our art space at Epidemic Skateboard Shop inside Epidemic and we can’t wait to share her story with you all. She is so near and dear to us… to talk/brag/interview her is our pleasure.
2. When Forces Collide. There is a SUPER COOL art, fashion, hair and makeup benefit runway show going down this weekend at the Ace Hotel and it is being put on by 3 local designers from the desert who are under 30 years old. The show will also feature a ton of hair and make-up artists in the desert who are under 30 years old. Plus, there will also be models, dancers, and many other contributors to the event who are all under 30 years old. And what are they doing all this for?!?! To raise money to benefit the American Cancer Society. Awesome, right? Yeah, I know. It’s so cool to hear about things like this going down… a large group of young, driven, artistic individuals to get to together and celebrate the arts by raising money for a non-profit organization. This week on the blog we interview the trio who is organizing the event and tell you all about it… when it’s happening (this Friday), what it all involves, and plenty more details. Stay tuned.
3. Pick-a-Split. And on the subject of young, driven, creative and (even) comedic young individuals from the desert…. there is going to be an special screening of the pilot episode of Pick-a-Split, a comedy television game show that bowls. Each member of the creative behind-the-scenes production crew is from the Coachella Valley. We are encouraging everyone to go out and support these kids who are on a mission to bowl your minds away!! More info later this week.
4. Facebook Fan Page. Man oh man… recently, on Facebook, we have been getting tons and tons of Facebook “friend requests.” Okay, maybe not ‘tons’, but definitely hundreds. We made our Facebook ‘friend page’ about 2 years ago. It’s been a slow and steady climb up to 5,000 friends, but we finally made it!! Big thank you to everyone who added us, as we do not typically add people. However, there is a bummer involved. The bummer is that Facebook only allows 5,000 friend per Facebook friend page…. so, we created a Facebook FAN page for everyone who didn’t make the cut in time. The Facebook Fan Page for the CVAS will feature all of the same information as the Facebook friend page. So, please please please…. add the new CVAS Facebook FAN page as we can no longer accept friends on our Friend Page (did all that make sense??!?!). Here is the link: The CVAS Facebook Fan Page
5. Ancient Youth at Fresh Out the Box. Our super talented and ultra artsy friend, Aaron Hansen, just dropped a new Fall line from his street wear clothing attire brand…. Ancient Youth. We want to make sure all you guys know about it and know where to pick it up…. because it’s always a good idea to support your local artist and support your local independently owned clothing stores. More photos and info after the jump-off.
6. Sunday = Funday, Funday = Freeday. It’s that time of the month again!! It’s Free 2nd Sundays at the Palm Springs Art Museum! Score! This means that everyone and anyone can come to the Palm Springs Art Museum for free and see all of the latest art installations. Plus, they always screen a free film. It’s definitely worth a look. More info later this week.
7. Desert Art Center’s Plein Air Paintings. We received a really cool invitation in our Inbox this morning and want to extend the invitation to all of you. The Desert Art Center has free art classes that travel outside of their studio. This Thursday they travel to the Indian Canyons to paint. How beautiful is that? We give you all the details in a bit…
8. Art Shows a Go Go: from Low to High. This week the Art Shows a Go Go post will come earlier than expected. Come Wednesday there will be a cool show in Palm Springs and later in the week a bunch in the High Desert. We give you a listing this week on the blog, so stay tuned in!
9. World Famous Party Recap! We are currently developing film, scanning Polaroids and uploading digital files to our computer as we speak. This past World Famous we celebrated The Coachella Valley Art Scene and Alf Alpha’s 1 Year Anniversary of our monthly event at the Ace Hotel – it was a blast! It was our biggest turn out yet and we couldn’t be more happy with the outcome! And brace yourself people – this month World Famous goes down on the last Saturday of this month once again…. meaning that it will be an epic Halloween party!!!! Always free!! Looking forward to seeing you there.
10. Randoms. You never know what will show up on the CVAS blog…. we are given so much info all the time – we barely even know! So, make sure you’re always checking back in with us to see what’s good in the hood.
11. Things 2 Do Thursday. You know what’s up…. Things 2 Do Thursday is the ultimate party hotline for all things local… local musicians, local promoters, local independent venues and local music fans (like yourself). Never a dull moment in the desert…