Raices Cultura is offering $100.00 mini grants to fund the development of a limited number of Dia de los Muertos Altars for the Dia de los Muertos event in Coachella from 6PM-10PM on Friday, November 1st, 2013. The Dia de los Muertos Altar Mini-Grant program is intended to add to the festive atmosphere, and to provide support to create altars that are larger in scope than in events in the past years. They are looking for creative and interactive activities that engage the community and highlight the significance of Dia de los Muertos. Due date for the mini-grant is October 1st.
The Dia de los Muertos event in Coachella will take place on 6th Street in Downtown Coachella and will include nighttime art displays and we are joining forces with the “Run with los Muertos” 5k run.
Even if your application does not get selected, they are inviting you to still add to the excitement with your creativity on November 1st, as long as your project is safe and leaves no trace.
Recommendations for Mini-Grant Activities:
- Be directly linked to Dia de los Muertos. Issue-based altars that educate the public and have a link to Dia de los Muertos are welcome (i.e. health, violence prevention, local or international humanitarian causes).
- Dream big! We are providing the mini-grants to support the creation of altars that engage people at night on the street.
- Be well-constructed for outdoor display and safe withstand strong wind.
- The event shall be able to light up at night. Solar and battery powered are allowed (There is no guaranteed access to electricity) Be interactive that allow Dia de los Muertos attendees have a role.
- Appeal to all ages.
- Leaves no trace after the activity (All entries will be responsible for taking the altars home with them).
Criteria for Selection:
Raices will select the most creative and engaging projects, which contribute to the Dia de los Muertos celebration.
How to Apply (one page only):
- One paragraph description of your activity.
- Include links to websites (videos, music, photos etc.) that will help us understand your proposed activity.
- Describe relevant past work that is similar to your proposal.
- Email your one page document (word, googledoc link, pdf, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 20 at Noon. Be sure to include your name and contact information on the header of the proposal. Raices will notify grantees by Thursday, September 26, 2013.
*Please note: application must only be one page long in readable
type, no smaller than 10pt font.
Questions? If you have a question please send an email to