“Cultivating a Creative Community”
Cultivating a creative community using art advocacy as a platform to safely express, educate, empower and engage the Coachella Valley.
The Coachella Valley Art Scene started as a blog in 2008 by sarah Scheideman after she returned home from college and saw a void in her community that she wanted to fulfill. After five years of blogging and events, The CVAS opened the doors to their first art gallery for a more tangible experience. The gallery served as a creative incubator for the community. In January of 2015, The Coachella Valley Art Scene officially became a 501c3 NonProfit Organization. We are currently in partnership with Westfield Palm Desert, located on the first level, open to the public on the weekends.
The Coachella Valley Art Scene is a creative incubator and cultural facility for residents of the Coachella Valley. Our arts and culture programming is substantially focused on serving, enhancing and developing the capacity of artists in our community to directly influence the creative industries within the Coachella Valley and neighboring cities.
- Art & Music Festivals
- Art Gallery Space
- Civic Engagement – partnering with larger local companies to showcase emerging artists in the community
- Creative Services
- Networking Opportunities
Our Current Programming:
– Weekly Live Music Performances held inside our pop-up, “StreetHQ”, inside Westfield Palm Desert. These live music performances feature all local artists ranging in musical genres. The events take place in a safe space for art that is open to All Ages, is Free of charge, happens on Fridays & Saturdays from 6:00pm-8:00pm till November 2016.
– Open Mic Night – The Coachella Valley Art Scene has been producing an Open Mic Night every 3rd Saturday of the month for the past two years. We provide a platform for the community to come share opinions, stories, visual art, musical art, comedy and much more. The event is Free and open to All Ages.
– STREET – Urban Art, Music, Fashion and Food Festival celebrating a new culture in the Coachella Valley. The festival is in partnership with Westfield Palm Desert, the City of Palm Desert, and 1st Weekends. The festival will take place on Friday, November 4th from 5:00 – 10:00pm. Event is Free and open to All Ages.
– 111 MUSIC FESTIVAL. In partnership with the Sunline Transit Agency, 111 Music Fest is a mobile music festival that puts local bands on the bus. This music festival brings awareness to our local alternative transit system by using music as a tool to encourage riders of all kinds to hop on the bus. Over 20 local bands play acoustic sets inside the bus during regular transit operational hours. This festival is sponsored by all cities across the Coachella Valley. The event costs the amount of a bus ticket, $1.00, and is available for all ages.
– Open Studio Art Making. Inside our current pop-up at Westfield Palm Desert we invite anyone and everyone to come in and experiment with art for a low materials fee of $5.00. Here is where you are provided a healthy amount of art and craft supplies to explore your creative outlets. Open Studio is available to all levels of creativity and all ages – bring the family, or just bring your best friend. Open Studio is Thursday – Sunday 3:00-8:00pm (also available for rental!).
Celebrate. Cultivate. Educate.
Founder + Executive Director, Sarah Scheideman
“The Coachella Valley Art Scene started as a blog in 2008 after I graduated from UC Riverside (BA in Film & Visual Culture) and returned to the desert. When I came back I was looking for information on local art and music events to attend and I couldn’t find anything. It was then that I became acutely aware of this burgeoning art community and the need to organize in order for it to thrive. With my background and power of the internet, I launched a platform for artists and art enthusiasts via The Coachella Valley Art Scene. With a growing audience over the last eight years, the ‘Scene’ has emerged into something beautiful and bigger than myself.” – Sarah Scheideman via CV Weekly
For any sponsorship, business and/or membership inquiries, please contact Sarah@TheCoachellaValleyArtScene.com
Thank you for your continued support!