In this Art Shows a Go Go feature we put the spotlight on a few art gallery exhibitions opening around town that we thought you might be into…because, well, we are into them! We even threw in some information about the Palm Springs Art Museum opening up their doors for free this weekend.
Also, make sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom to see what you can already start looking forward towards next weekend. The Coachella Valley Art Scene x Qulture Qreative x BIRBA have something super special in store for you!!!….
Royale Projects, Melissa Morgan Fine Art, Palm Springs Art Museum and Venus Art Supply have some treats in store for you….
I’d be safe and warm: Helen DeSanctis and Liat Yossifor
Royale Projects opens an exhibition featuring two Los Angeles based artists that create powerful works, atypical of west coast abstract paintings. The title of the exhibition, “I’d be safe and warm”, is taken from the Mamas and the Papas song “California Dreamin'”. Papa John Phillips shares a vivid and romantic vision of a winter day in New York City. Dreaming of a warmer and more welcoming environment, he adopts a false spirituality to momentarily find shelter from his bitter surroundings. Similarly Helen DeSanctis and Liat Yossifor seem to long for a distant place while skillfully capturing the cold reality of where they are.
Helen DeSanctis explores transformation through obsession. She mines patterns sourced from Jewish ceremonial textiles, West African ritual masks, orthodox icon paintings, alchemical diagrams and mathematical equations. Melding these varied images she creates dense, interwoven tapestries of thickly layered oil paint. Originally vibrantly colored, DeSanctis white washes the final layers, diffusing the diversity like the sun bleached facades of the bland buildings that blend the cultural identities of the population that lives along the winding edges of Sunset Boulevard.
In Liat Yossifor’s recent work she has turned away from the restrictions of representation. She has traded in the literal imagery she became known for, replacing it with fearless swipes, scrapes and marks of pure abstraction. The spectrum of grey in her paintings, as described by Los Angeles Times critic David Pagel, range from “whisper-soft tints as delicate as a mourning dove’s feathers to steely shades that would be at home on a battleship”. With her monochromatic palate and intuitive mark making and you can see Yossifor’s mind travel longingly to European Expressionism and the New York School legacy. Despite her yearnings, the work is firmly grounded in the way the Western light washes in her studio window located on Hollywood Boulevard. Teases of color echo the flashes of glitter you notice embedded into the grime and asphalt of that famed, star spangled street.
Neither of these painters indulge in the sexy, synthetic colors and fetishistic surfboard finishes that have become the pacific standard. These artists are important indicators of a new perspective on west coast abstraction. They see beyond the surface and look deeply into the dark layers of contemporary South Coast culture. Turning their back on expected traditions they face the cold discomfort of a society dreaming and longing to again be “safe and warm”.
Gallery Name: Royale Projects
Address: 75270 Highway 111 Suite 205, Indian Wells, CA 92210
Gallery Owners: Rick Royale & Paige Moss
Web Site: www.royaleprojects.com
Featured Artist(s): Helen DeSanctis and Liat Yossifor
Reception Date: Saturday March 31 2012 4pm – 8pm
Show Dates: March 31 2012 – April 29 2012
* * * *
Next Thursday the Qulture Qreative x The Coachella Valley Art Scene x BIRBA presents….
Qulture Qreative, BIRBA and The Coachella Valley Art Scene present….
A.O.K. (Art of Kraft) is a monthly showcase that hopes to serve as a vehicle to help connect local business owners with artists and other artist with each other. It is our goal to create a container that’s supports creativity and access to our diverse community.
The Artists involved will be producing unique works at an accessible and reasonable price specifically for this once monthly event. This is a great opportunity for artists to purchase other artists work. In addition 90% of all sales will go directly to artist and the other 10% will go directly to a local non-profit of our choice.
Art of Kraft will take place on the first Thursday of every month, from 12:00pm – 4:00pm and is open to all ages. A special food and drink menu will be available
April 5th, May 3rd, June 7th 2012
With special guest, sound selector extraordinaire, DJ Alf Alpha and special guests
BIRBA 622 North Palm Canyon Drive PSP, CA. 92262 760.327.56787
For more info and a complete list of Artist please go to:
Thursday April 5th will feature works from local artists such as Angela Kinley, Maya Kalabic, Kylie Knight, Carlos Munoz, Robert Media and Reem Branscomb
*Make sure to swirl back around the following monthfor a whole new blend of burgeoning artists…